It is so exciting that people have seen me on television over the past two days. In case it hasn't aired in your area yet, my good friends at WKTV Utica/Rome filmed me cooking earlier this month and put together a wonderful segment about The Naptime Chef. In it you'll see me cooking my healthy, favorite Butternut Squash Ginger Soup with Cider for Television. I hope to put the actual clip up soon (complete with a reference to Julie & Julia!), but in the mean time here is the recipe!
Butternut Squash Ginger Soup with Cider from The Naptime Chef™
3 medium butternut squash
3 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
2 T. chopped fresh ginger
1 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
6 c. vegetable stock
½ c. heavy cream
1 cup fresh apple cider
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
2. Peel and cube butternut squash. Spread the squash evenly on the baking sheet and place in oven to roast for 30 minutes. Toss the squash once with a wooden spoon halfway through roasting.
3. Meanwhile, in a deep saucepan or dutch oven heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and spices until the onion is translucent. Then, slowly pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
4. When the squash is finished roasting add it to the soup. Turn off the heat and use a handheld blender to puree all of the ingredients.
5. Finally, stir in cream until completely incorporated. Then, stir in cider.
6. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Naptime Recipe Notes:
- Not all squash are created equal. If you use big squashes and the soup is still thick after adding the cider, add warm water by the ¼ cupful until it is reaches the desired consistency.
- I like to serve this with warm corn muffins to which I’ve added chopped marinated red pepper.
Corn Muffins with Roasted Red Pepper
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 jar roasted red peppers in marinade
1. Mix Jiffy corn muffin mix according to instructions.
2. Drain and finely chop one roasted red pepper.
3. Stir into muffin batter. Pour batter into muffin pan and bake as instruction.