5.18.2010

Uncle Will's Chimichurri Amarillo: Webisode #24

   

What's Going on Today: Hangin' with Uncle Will in Cooperstown, trip to see new baby lambs at The Farmer's Museum.
Naptime Goals: Work with Uncle Will as we recreate his famous Chimichurri Amarillo marinade. Bake scones for breakfast tomorrow.
Tonight's Menu: Uncle Will's Chimichurri Amarillo Steak, Grilled Vegetables, Rice Pilaf.
Parenting Lesson of the Day: Uncles are like grown-up playmates.

We made a quick trip to see my parents and brother in Cooperstown over the weekend. While we were there I seized the opportunity to cook with Uncle Will. You all know how many awesome recipes he produces and I couldn't wait to learn his latest for Chimichurri Amarillo steak. Since his job requires anonymity (and I won't tell you any more than that), he filmed me making the marinade while whispering directions from behind the camera. I wish I could have included his face because he is really great, but that will have to wait for another time.


Will developed this recipe after he tasted something similar during a trip to Panama a few years ago with the Coast Guard. Of all the steaks he ate during his time there he concluded that the Chimichurri Amarillo preparation was his most favorite. Upon his return he looked up several similar recipes, did some taste tests and came up with his own version seen here. And, let me tell you, like his burger recipe from last summer, it is brilliant.

Rather then ruin all of the details about this marinade I am going to let you see it for yourself. Like almost all marinade situations I love, I was easily able to prepare this during my daughter's afternoon naptime and let it rest in the fridge for the afternoon. Once cooked, the meat was exceptionally tender from the acidic marinade with a rich spicy garlic flavor. We paired it with grilled vegetables and rice and had a terrific family meal.

Uncle Will's Chimichurri Amarillo
1 1/2 lbs. Skirt Steak, or any other meat that is suitable for grilling
2/3 cup Olive Oil
2 T. Chopped Parsley
8 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 t. Lemon Juice (1 1/2t. for Chicken and Pork)
2 T. Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper (1/2 Tsp for Chimichurri Diablo Rojo!)

1. Combine ingredients and stir vigorously or use a food processor.  Use half of the sauce as a marinade on skirt steak (or any cut of meat suitable for grilling). Use the other half as a dipping sauce when serving. Make sure to marinate for at least two hours.

Naptime Notes:
Naptime Recipe Variations and Ideas: The marinade is pretty delicious as is, but you can always add a little more cayenne if you need an extra kick. I find that a strong side dish really complements the meat which is why we like it with mixed grilled vegetables or something like broccoli rabe.
Naptime Stopwatch: Preparing this marinade takes about 10 minutes, then just put the meat in the fridge and enjoy the rest of the afternoon!
Naptime Reviews: My daughter doesn't eat these cuts of meat yet, especially after the mouth incident two weeks ago. But, needless to say, the rest of us devoured it.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks amazing. I love all the ingredients with great health benefits too! Garlic, cayenne pepper, parsley, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a steak recipe. Glad that I can marinate this all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I love cooking with my siblings, too. Definitely doing this one for father's day, the kids will love it, too.

    ReplyDelete