5.13.2010

Rhubarb Pie Par Excellance in the New Kitchen: Webisode #23

   

What's Going on Today: Getting settled, playing at the playground despite the cold snap, enjoying time with each other in the moving aftermath.
Naptime Goals: Rhubarb Pie, work in *new* upstairs office (a.k.a. the guest room), take a deep breath and enjoy the absence of boxes.
Tonight's Menu: Take-out from the Italian place we are dying to try, homemade Rhubarb Pie for dessert.
Parenting Lesson of the Day: Even the littlest ones need downtime, too.

Today I am taking a deep breath. I am starting to feel like the move is behind me. My Mom has returned home to Cooperstown, Mercury is finally out of retrograde and I am sleeping well at night again. It has been a whirlwind two weeks, that is no joke, but we have come out on the other end relatively unscathed. Just as we were settling in to the new normal over the weekend, a cold snap blew in. Last week we were in shorts and tanks, today we are in fleeces and jeans. My daughter seems remarkably undeterred by this weather. She is so enamored with the new playground down the street there is no keeping her inside. Instead of fight it, I just go with it. You'll note in the video above I am outfitted for late fall during a playground visit in May (!)


My Mom brought me a huge bunch of fresh rhubarb from the garden when she was here last week. I've been saving it to make something delicious and it just so happens that this weather put me in the mood for a warm fruit pie. I know, I know, there has been a rhubarb around here lately, but I promise this is the last one for at least six weeks.


This is my grandmothers recipe and it is a real treasure. I only use the filling recipe she gave us, though. The pie crust recipe she wrote contains copious amounts of lard so I opt to make Dede Wilson's pie crust from Bon Appetit instead. Dede's crust has never let me down and works with just about any pie I've ever made. It does a perfect job of showcasing the soft, tangy rhubarb compote filling, that is neither too tart nor too sweet. In a way, I feel like I am initiating our new kitchen by making this family favorite. Like I am introducing my new appliances to what they can expect from me over the next year. So far everything seems to working well, even, thankfully, the radiators.

Rhubarb Pie Par Excellance
4 c. Rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1 1/2 c. sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lemon

2 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Frozen for 15 minutes.
6 T. ice-water
1 T. cream & 2 t. sugar (for crust wash)

1. In a food processor fitted with a blade process the flour, sugar and salt for 10 seconds. Then, add the butter and process again until a soft meal forms. Finally, dribble in the ice water bit by bit until a moist dough forms. Remove the dough from the processor, divide into two equal pieces and form disks. Wrap each disk and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.

2. Make the filling by combining the rhubarb, sugar, zest and juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir the rhubarb until it becomes tender and liquidy. About 8 minutes. Then, continue stirring until the liquid begins to form a syrup. About 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Once the crust has chilled, roll out both disks on a lightly floured surface until they are 12" round. Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9" pie dish. Fill it with the rhubarb filling. Cut the second round into strips 1/2" thick. Place 6 strips in one direction, equal distant apart. Then, arrange remaining strips in the opposite direction to form a lattice pattern. Seal the strip ends to the crust edge with your fingers. Combine cream and sugar in a bowl and brush over the lattice, but not the crust edges. 

4. Preheat oven to 450ºF and bake for 30 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 375ºF and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool and serve.

Naptime Notes:
Naptime Recipe Serving Ideas: This is a great spring or summer dessert. I recommend serving it with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Naptime Stopwatch: Preparing the crust takes about 5 minutes. Then, preparing the filling takes about 20 minutes. 
Naptime Reviews: My daughter is still learning to like rhubarb, but my husband and I loved it!

7 comments:

  1. Hey there! I happen to have a large bag of rhubarb and was wondering what to make... Might have to be a pie! Quick question - you don't use any flour or cornstarch in your filling... Do you get quite a liquidy result or does the sugar somehow make it more syrupy? R xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosy! I find that reducing it to a syrupy consistency works well, but it yours doesn't get dense enough I suggest adding 1-2T of cornstarch while it's stewing and it will thicken right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copious amount of lard?! I would have shied away from the original pie crust recipe too. This looks like a terrific rhubarb pie recipe. I hope all is well settling into your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother made a pie similar to this. I love the addition of lemon, it makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear, pie is the best in the summer. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up some tips from your Grandma's recipe - and I make a pretty good rhubarb pie. Will try yours out after my visit to the Farmer's Market this week...Just don't make me do a lattice crust - totally beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of making your Rhubarb Almond Cake from last May (one of my favorites) but this looks amazing too... this one might be what is needed to kick off the summer this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete